Since 1999, CSF-C has invested over $9 million in nearly 7,000 scholarships; approximately 350-400 children are enrolled in the program each year. CSF-C is the largest privately funded scholarship program in NC and the only privately funded program scholarship program in Mecklenburg County.
Applicants’ families must meet the following criteria:
- Families must reside in Charlotte and/or Mecklenburg County
- Children must be attending K-8th grade during the year of funding
- Families must qualify for the Federal Free and Reduced Meal Program
- Children must be entering Kindergarten or transferring from a public school
Scholarship amounts are determined by the family’s size and income, and the school’s tuition amount; the maximum award per child is $2,500.
Each family is required to contribute at least $500 every year toward the children’s educations; we’re giving them a hand up, not a hand out.
Each family/child must re-qualify every year to continue funding.
In order to maintain enrollment at a desired level, applications are received in the spring on a first-come, first-serve basis. Should there be attrition throughout the year, a waiting list consisting of qualified applicants is applied.
Family Information (as of November 30, 2016):
- Average family’s gross income: $34,027
- Average tuition per child: $6,771
- Average “award” per child: $1,714
- Average family payment over the “award”: $2,157
Enrollment Information (as of May 2015):
- Total schools participating in program: 48
- Grade Distribution:
- Kindergarten (10.4%)
- Grade 1 (11.8%))
- Grade 2 (15.6%)
- Grade 3 (14.4%)
- Grade 4 (8.9%)
- Grade 5 (12.1%)
- Grade 6 (8.9%)
- Grade 7 (8.9%)
- Grade 8 (8.9%)